Toyzini Galleries features a wide array of artistic exhibits, ranging from work by outsider or self-taught artists to work by both local and national artists in a variety of mediums. The gallery is run by Hickman County native Randy Toy, also known as The Great Toyzini, a local outsider artist who has been an exhibit designer for Cheekwood Fine Arts Museum and Brooks Museum in Memphis and has been showing his own artwork as well as the work of others for over 40 years. He was involved with the first Arts and Ag, originally held in the basement of the Old Courthouse on the Historic Centerville Square, and has participated in the event, either as a vendor or a stop on the map for the past five years.
As one of the early participants in the Arts and Ag festival, Toyzini has witnessed the growth of the artistic and agricultural community surrounding the annual event. According to him, this growth is “only natural” given the amount of rural beauty and talent present in Hickman County. At Toyzini Galleries, the focus is on making connections between artists and vendors, and for many of the vendors showing at the gallery, Arts and Ag provides such an opportunity.
This year, Toyzini Galleries will present the following artistic lineup:
- Dr. Dale Sworts, a veterinarian known locally as the Medicine Man, will be displaying his paintings, many of which feature some of his patients.
- Rose Littrell, a nationally recognized sculptor who has created works for both the Wild Horse Saloon and Opryland Theme Park, will have one of her works on-site for the festival.
- Brenda Dawson, local author of Running for Home, will have her book available at the gallery.
- Terri Tucker, an amazing self-taught artist, will show her photo-realistic sketches.
- Guest artist, Rand Lane, a well-known artist, who makes the southern folk art circuits with his paintings.
- Guest speaker, Joyce Day will be giving a talk on collecting outsider art at 5 p.m. on the 27th and 11 a.m. on the 28th; she will also bring some pieces from her collection, as well as her original drawings.
- Emily Naff, photographer, will be introducing her new series titled “The New American Gothic,” a look at the modern organic farmer in Hickman County.
- Lauly Arts, created by multi-talented artist Claudia Reis from Berlin, Germany, will return to Arts and Ag with jewelry, paintings, bags, and found-object art.
- Denny Adcock, a woodworker and photographer will exhibit examples of both at the gallery.
- Lois Lewis will display her unique and beautiful, hand-painted pottery.
- Penny Stafford, a sculptor known for the textured surfaces of the pots she creates, will present a sampling of her work.
- Ben Lankford, an outsider artist whose work has been exhibited all over the southern United States.
- Clinton Toy, a woodworker and painter, will show handmade bird houses and carved fish along with his colorful two dimensional works.
- Tatum Creek Crochet, made by Cofie Toy, will feature crocheted market bags, baskets, and dishcloths.
- Antonia Meadors will exhibit her series of out-of-this-world lizard paintings.
- Austin Toy, Hickman County’s premier rap artist will have his latest CD available for sale.
- Wonderful festival food by Gloria McCord will be available from her cart on-site.
Toyzini Galleries is located at 5603 Hwy. 100, Lyles, TN 37098 and is stop number 15 on the Arts and Ag map. Further information on each of the above artists will be available at their respective booths during Arts and Ag.